A pandemic is an outbreak of disease that spreads through countries or continents. It affects more people and takes several lives than perhaps an epidemic. The World Health Organization (WHO) pronounced COVID-19 to be a pandemic as it became clear that the disease was dangerous and that it was rapidly spreading across a vast region.
The coronavirus disease (COVID-19) was first reported in Wuhan, a place in China, on Dec 2019. The SARS-CoV-2 virus induces COVID-19, and this is a virus in humans that causes respiratory diseases that can spread from person to person.
The COVID-19 pandemic is the most significant public health issue of today and the largest threat we have encountered since the Second World War. When the virus first appeared in Asia late last year, it has circulated to all continents except Antarctica. But the pandemic is more than just a health crisis; it is also a socio-economic crisis.
Information from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirms that COVID-19 is mainly spread from infected persons to anyone in close contact via respiratory droplets, by personal contact with infectious persons, or by touching polluted items and surfaces.
Location Confirmed Cases Recovered Cases Deaths
Globally 21,260,760 12,380,410 761,018
- Nasal congestion
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle pain
- Loss of smell or taste
- Diarrhea may be present in some patients
Isolate yourself when you feel any of the above symptoms and contact the authorities.
- Avoid touching your face
- Avoid contact with sick people
- Cover your mouth or nose when coughing or sneezing with a tissue, then dispose of it properly.
- Scrub and disinfect items and materials that are regularly handled
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Hand washing can be performed for at least 40-60 seconds on the basis of WHO’s guidelines.
Note that certain patients with no symptoms can also transmit the virus. Always wear a FACE MASK in public for your safety and the safety of others.